Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Northern Girl


From Left: Hailey Thompson, Camber Sannes, Brooke Bougie


In the summer, my lower half seems to be a boat. In the winter, it's becoming skis.

I've been training hard...not only for paddling, now I'm working on my skiing technique. And it's finally paying off! Thanks to my incredible coaches out at the Iola-Scandinavia Ski Club.

My last race was on home turf, on the Iola trails.

Unfortunately, I had fallen fairly hard on my hip the day before (darn ice) and had an unpleasant cold...despite this, I decided to race.

And I'm so glad I did! The race was four kilometers (fairly short) on difficult terrain...but I was familiar with it, and as soon as I began skating, I could feel my rhythm. I took a good place, about mid-front in the group in the first kilometer or so, only to more firmly establish my position towards the middle of the race, when I was holding second. I hung on to second until the very last half-kilometer of the race when a girl passed me going downhill. Still, 3rd was an exceptionally satisfying placement for me, and I can't wait until my next race!

No comments: